So I’ve finally decided to make that 10-day WoW trial from the summer of 2006 into a real account. I ordered the WoW “Battle Chest” from Amazon on Tuesday, and it showed up today. At approximately 6:30pm I began attempts at installing it. It took me 3 hours until it finally finished. Yes, hours. Three of them.

The first 3 or so tries ended at 98% with an error message about not being able to rename various install files and directories. So I went off to the support forums and there was a suggestion to copy the DVD to the hard drive and install from there. Nope, didn’t work. Now even though I had 125gb free on my D drive, I wanted more. So some moving of old watched anime to my massive 750gb external drive put me up to 193gb free. Then I cleared out my temp files, rebooted, closed Google Desktop, disabled Norton and attempted install again. There was then much dancing (not that much) and cheering (I’m lying) as the damn thing installed successfully. Burning Crusade installed on the first attempt without copying the install to the drive and now I am downloading a 262mb patch file.

My god, this thing is huge. For comparison’s sake, I have my old EQ directory still on my computer and it’s 3.88gb. That’s with about 6 or 7 expansions installed and screenshots and logs, and all the stuff you tend to accumulate while playing a game for 4-5 years. This fresh install of WoW is 7.73gb. It’s like Microsoft programmed it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: